|In Depth Analysis of a Theory||10/2||100|
|Peer Review of a Colleague’s “In Depth Analysis of a Theory”||10/16||75|
|Communication Theories in Action Paper||11/13||100|
|Participation in Blog Discussion||Every Tuesday by midnight.||125|
Details on assignments are below:
In Depth Analysis of a Theory
You will be assigned a theory to research outside of the theories specifically taught in the course. You will need to search for research on the theory and determine the following:
- History of the theory
- Disciplines that utilize the theory
- Example cases/articles utilizing the theory
- Controversies surrounding the theory (Are there differing views on the interpretation of the theory? Are there people who question if it should be a theory?)
- How is it being used to understand agricultural communication OR if it is not currently being used in agricultural communication how could it be used?)
When searching for research on your assigned theory, you may find it helpful to visit the K-State Library website. You will develop an infographic as your in-depth analysis outlet. Instructions and details on this will be provided at a later date. A portion of your grade will come from a peer’s review of your infographic. For details on how to create your infographic view How to Create an Infographic on Canva. You do not have to follow these instructions – they are just here if you need help. If you have another preferred way to create your infographic, that is fine with me. You will submit the PDF of your infographic via K-State Online Canvas.
See examples and more details on the In-Depth Theory Assignment Page.
Peer Review of a Colleague’s In-Depth Analysis of a Theory
In the contribution to scholarly endeavors, we regularly review peers’ research. You will be asked to review a peers’ infographic based on selected criteria. This will be similar to a journal or conference review of a colleague’s work. We are all made stronger by critical and thorough evaluation by our peers. See the In-Depth Theory Assignment page for more details. You will use this Peer Review of In-Depth Theory Assignment document to review your peer’s work and submit it on K-State Online Canvas. I will evaluate your review using the following rubric:
|Evaluated your peer on all items||25.0 pts|
|Critically and thoroughly reviewed your peer’s work||25.0 pts|
|Made an accept/reject decision||10.0 pts|
|Used proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation||15.0 pts|
Communication Theories in Action Paper
Select two communication theories presented during the course. In an 8-10 page double-spaced paper, explain the theories and indicate how the theories apply to one or two of the three topic areas below. (You can select one example from two of the topic categories or two from one of the topics. For example, you could select two media examples or one media and one agriculture example.)
- Show how communication theory applies to media organizations.
- Show how communication theory applies to U.S. agriculture.
- Show how communication theory applies to an organization with which you are associated
You will need to provide references throughout your paper according to the American Psychological Association (APA) Style 6th edition.
- Here are some examples of issues you may want to investigate:
- Canadian beef producers and BSE (“mad cow disease”) crisis
Walkerton, Canada: e. coli; GMO Labeling in California;
- Labeling of meat products related to hormone free, free range, or similar; or water shortages.
- President Obama Signs DARK Act into Law
- Misconceptions of agriculture attributed to images consumers see regularly through the media
- Narrowing the Farm-to-Plate Knowledge Gap through Semiotics and the Study of Consumer Responses Regarding Livestock Images
- President Trump posted the following phrase on Twitter “the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive”. What is the impact on famers, the agricultural sector, lay audiences and global bodies such as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
To guide you on this assignment, a student in a previous semester has agreed to let me share her paper as an Example Comm Theories in Action Paper. I have left my comments in so you can see areas that I would have improved. Overall, this is an excellent example of the purpose of this paper. Please be creative and make your own points while demonstrating knowledge of theory. I will evaluate your communication theories in action paper using the following rubric:
|Selected two communication theories||10.0 pts|
|Explained the two theories completely||10.0 pts|
|Appropriately applied theory to one or two of the three topic areas||15.0 pts|
|8-10 page double-spaced paper||10.0 pts|
|Correct APA Style||10.0 pts|
|Demonstrated critical thinking||15.0 pts|
|Well written, clear, good flow||15.0 pts|
|Grammar, spelling, and punctuation||15.0 pts|
I will communicate with you through the blog on this site. This will basically be the weekly lecture for the course. I will write a post each week in which I will discuss theory and case studies and introduce questions for discussion. You will participate in blog discussions throughout the course. There will be 16 blog discussions (one each week). You will participate in these discussions via the blog on the course website. You will need to make an initial post on each of the blogs (around 150 words). Indicate you are active in the conversation and make sure and include your first name and last initial so you will receive credit for your participation. You will also need to participate with your peers in the posts. As such, you will need to make at least one comment or reply to your peers’ posts each week. I would like for you to be engaged throughout the course, so you must complete your post by the next Tuesday after it is posted. I understand many of you are working professionals and need to fit posting in to your schedules, so I will allow you to be late in posting up to two times, but please only use these two times when it is absolutely necessary. This is an opportunity for us to connect with each other and engage in conversation related to theory in agricultural communication. Grading is based on thoughtful reflection, timely responses, and correct grammar and punctuation. I will use the following rubric to evaluate each of your blog posts:
|Responded to initial post thoroughly and thoughtfully||2.48 pts|
|Responded to peer’s post thoroughly and thoughtfully||2.38 pts|
|Correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation||2.38 pts|
|Thoughtful reflection||2.38 pts|
Your final exam will include of all of the theories presented in the course. The exam will include open-ended essay questions designed to make you think deeper and apply theory to the agricultural communications industry. The format will be a “take home” style exam.